Monday, December 18, 2006

Yep, still paradise

So while I was posting last time Kyle had wandered over to the local surf shop and befriended the super-nice manager, Blair. We ended up meeting him at Maori Bay at Muriwai Beach, which is the most amazing beach ever, for a surf session today. I walked on the black sand beach and gawked at the waterfall, gannets and view while Kyle thrashed around in the waves. Pics soon, hopefully.

I'm totally in love with my car- couldn't be happier, but I've left Kyle a measely sum of money with which to purchase his car, so he's a little pouty when we go to the car lots now. Also, everything here is automatic and he wants a manual.

So after the dip in the ocean we drove around West Auckland to get a feel for some more neighborhoods, and we've pretty much decided that we want to live out in the country up north here (not that we can afford that :). While driving around I spied a model home by a company called G. J. Gardner. Super modern, 1200 sf shed style with lots of glass and everything we want. And they will build it for you for $200K, which seems like an impossibly good deal. Only hitch is you've got to provide the land, which can be the expensive bit. So I'm on the hunt for a way to get a sliver of land off a lamb farm on which to build. Kyle thinks I'm crazy.

We've met up with a few friends so far, and have more to still meet... Looks like we might spend an 'orphans Christmas' with Blair and some other surf friends- BBQ at the beach sounds just great. Hopefully we'll meet Jeff and Jo soon, who have been so supportive, Christi Nelson from move2nz.com and American Kiwis and some other Americans. I guess we feel like it's been pretty easy to make friends so far, and I'm sure getting jobs will help.

Put off job hunting today, but will be back at it tomorrow- can't figure if this is a good week for it or not, what with Christmas. Can't hurt to turn up and see if they need an extra hand. Just hope I don't have to do the deliveries!! Actually I'm getting quite good at driving here now. Navigating is another story.

Cheers!

No comments: