Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Home again, home again jiggity jog

Well, it was a pretty emotional departure from Austin yesterday. We tied up most of our loose ends and said goodbye to Kyle's family. It still doesn't seem real that we are leaving for good, or at least for a while. We drove up to Weatherford to stay with my parents until our flight out tomorrow. There's a good bit of low level anxiety going on, but it really hit when we realized that we needed to be in Austin to transfer our gobs of money to NZ. Luckily Joanne will be able to do it for us, but it made me feel totally ridiculous that I didn't closely attend to the most important aspect of actually *moving* to a new place.

I just spoke with my Aunt Karen and Uncle Doodle, who have an amazing place in Louisiana. They grow their own food, plane their own wood, and are in general the most self-reliant people I know (who do *you* know that can build a large sailboat from scratch??). If the world erupts in chaos I hope some of their pluck gets beamed to me and Kyle.

I'll try to keep you posted as we hit the ground there, but who knows if my brain will actually be working after that long in the air.

No comments: